Monday, April 27, 2009

Looking in the social pages

I'll be the first to admit that I can't stand Facebook or Myspace. I've friends that live their entire lives on the sites but I'm flat out looking at it once a month. When I first joined Facebook 3 years ago I was amazed at how many people (not the use of people and not friends) that were all of a sudden wanting to be my friend. I'm not just talking about the random people that ask to be your friend but the people that I haven't seen (or thought of) for 10, 15 and in one case 25 years have put my name in the finder and out I come. I always laugh at the invites from high school classmates that I didn't even know and they're asking for a friendship.

I know, I know, very anti-social of me.

That rant said One of the ideas the girls and I had here was to use the site as an online bookclub so we can capture a wider group than is possible to make it to our branch library (and are interested in the sci-fi/fantasy genre). we're still trying to figure out how to run the site (or just let it run itself) and how we can then intergrate it into our library webpages (that being the harder part of the task).

Another way we're looking at using the social networks is for the young adults having a page for them that they can keep up with what is happening in the library for them and a direct line of communication to the YA librarian.

I'd be mad to dismiss the tech just because it bores me. I can see how it can be of use and am all for helping set it up but until I need I'm not gonna use it just for the sake of using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment